In a previous post, I shared seven warnings to Christian leaders about their use of social media. The post, by its very topic, was not positive. I do strongly believe, however, that social media can be used for good and for God’s glory.
In this post I show the other side of social media. And I do so with great encouragement that many believers are already approaching social media as a platform to share the gospel and show the love of Christ. Here are seven suggestions I would humbly add to this discussion.
- Pray before you post. If I have learned anything about social media, I have learned that I’m not the smartest guy around. I need God’s wisdom to communicate in such a way that brings honor and glory to Him. That is why I must begin with prayer.
- Encourage others in social media. Some of the greatest encouragements I receive come from people on social media. I am so thankful for the many Christians who use this platform in obedience to the Word of God: “Therefore encourage one another and build each other up as you are already doing” (1 Thessalonians 5:11).
- Respond with a gentle spirit. Let our desire be to win hearts rather than to win arguments.
- Remember who is watching you in social media. The words we Christians say to one another and to others are on display for the world to see. This platform is an incredible opportunity to demonstrate the love of Christ in action, which brings us to my next suggestion.
- Use social media as an opportunity to demonstrate the fruit of the Spirit. God is doing great works through those in social media who strive to demonstrate the fruit of the Spirit every time they post: “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, gentleness, self control” (Galatians 5:22).
- Create a prayer ministry through social media. Make it a point to pray for many of those you read or watch on social media. Let them know you are praying for them. At this blog, I ask Christians across the world to pray for a specific church every Sunday (use this form to submit a church).
- Seek to create unity in the body of Christ through social media. For sure, there are many who are divisive. But even more of us can be a mighty force for God to bring unity to Christians across the world. Paul said it well: “Above all, put on love – the perfect bond of unity” (Colossians 3:14).
I am incredibly grateful for so many of you who are positive witnesses for Christ on social media. It can be tempting to go negative since negativity draws attention and creates greater traffic. I would love to hear how you are using social media to share the gospel, encourage others, demonstrate the fruit of the Spirit, and to show Christ’s love in a multitude of ways.